Monday, October 29, 2012

Two and a Half Weeks

At physical therapy this morning I asked Stephen to look at how long it took me to get to 110 degrees last time round. A quick glance indicated that I was at a "forced" 115 degrees 5 weeks after surgery. Today, I easily bent my knee to 110. I can do the stationary bike quite easily. All other exercises are much easier than they were 3 years ago. Still, I am quite tired now in both mind and body, though elated too.

Since we've had good, dry weather, I've been walking without a cane outside since Friday afternoon. However, I had a setback on Friday night, getting into bed. What kind of idiot would jump into bed and swing her leg over, toes pointed down? I caught my toes between the sheet and the blanket and my foot killed all the momentum in my leg. Pain shot through my entire knee -- almost unbearable, reminiscent of my dozens of injuries. However, it was only a little more painful than (the new) normal on Saturday and relatively good yesterday. This morning, it was fine.

My incision has turned into a scar that looks recent but not disgusting. Because I wear shorts to physical therapy, people quite regularly ask me about it, somewhat apologetically, but everyone has questions about my surgery and recovery. I think I'm very lucky: best surgeon, best aftercare, time to work on recovery, building strength and increasing range of motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment