Saturday, January 12, 2013

January 2013: The End

I didn't have much to post throughout my recovery. Major milestone: election day, November 6, two days short of my 4-week anniversary. I  stood in line for at least 20 minutes and went out to lunch with friends. I felt good and quite strong.

 On November 15, I returned to work for 6 hours a day through the day before Thanksgiving the following week, when I had something of a meltdown. I arrived home on that afternoon after running a couple of errands in Highland Village after work. My left tibia was burning and the entire knee was swollen. The following week, I spent a lot of time on my feet at an all-day meeting, and my leg looked bruised below the knee. For the next 10 days or so, I went back to regular icing and began to get better again.

My 2-month appointment with Dr. Arendt was December 18. By that time I had returned to poster child status. Seems I might have "overdone" the rehab and suffered a "bleed", which explained the bruising of my leg. She removed a stitch that had worked its way through the skin, in the same area that had erupted in pain the previous month.

I've been a little more conservative since then. I walk every day during my lunch break and my endurance is increasing. I had my first pain free night at the end of December and I sometimes go several hours without thinking about my knees. I'd say ... success!

No comments:

Post a Comment