Friday, October 12, 2012

Feeling Good!

I had a good day. Dr. Arendt's orthopaedic resident visited me before 7:00 a.m., just before a 12-hour surgery marathon. I realized when he reviewed the non-narcotic pain medication plan with me that the care team had given a lot of thought to my unpleasant experiences with Vicodin, hydrocodone and other hard-hitting drugs..

They designed a schedule with medications consisting mainly of  Tylenol and Toradol. Miraculously, the medications worked and I felt clear-headed and healthy all day. I did leg lifts early in the morning and walked quite a bit. I can bend the knee to 90 degrees already and I think I feel less pain than I did when I was loaded up with the big stuff. I was offered, and accepted, acupuncture. I don't think it changed anything but it was an interesting experience.

Bob and Chris visited me at lunchtime and I felt sharp enough to be engaged in the conversation. Late in the afternoon, I moved from 10th Floor (surgical\medical, used for overflow orthopaedic surgery parking), to the Orthopaedic 8th Floor. It's only about 8:30 but I feel ready for bed.

The resident came back to see me at the end of his long day. He was a little surprised and pleased that I was so well, and wondered out loud if other patients are "over-medicated".

No comments:

Post a Comment